Business Hazardous Waste
Businesses that qualify as a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) have special options for disposal of hazardous waste.
- Missouri: Businesses that generate no more than 220 pounds (100 kg) of non-acute hazardous waste and less than 2.2 pounds (1kg) of acutely hazardous waste in one month or accumulate the stated amounts at any one time.
- Kansas: Businesses that generate less than 55 pounds (25 kg) of hazardous waste, less than 2.2 pounds (1 kg) of acutely hazardous waste, and less than 55 pounds (25 kg) of any residue or contaminated soil, waste or other debris resulting from the cleanup of a spill of acutely hazardous waste in any single calendar month or accumulate the stated amounts at any time.
- Missouri: You must take your waste to a permitted disposal facility. You are eligible for CESQG programs offered by permitted commercial hazardous waste management providers. (links to area with same name below)
- Kansas: You may use any of the following alternatives to handle your hazardous waste:
Small quantities of hazardous waste may not be disposed of by dumping on the surface of the ground or into surface waters, burying in the ground at an un-permitted site, or by using wastes such as solvents for killing weeds.
- Disposal at a permitted sanitary landfill
- Neutralization and discharge to the sanitary sewer, only with permission of the city. Hazardous wastes such as solvents, sludges and pesticides are not suitable for discharge to the sanitary sewer.
- Disposal at a permitted hazardous waste disposal facility. CESQG businesses in Johnson County, Kan., can take it to the Johnson County collection facility.
What if I generate more hazardous waste than the CESQG limits?
If your business generates more than the CESQG limits, it is considered a regulated generator and you need to do the following:
Permitted commercial hazardous waste management providers:
- Clean Harbors Environmental Services Inc. – 816/421-5840
- Heritage Environmental Services Inc. – 816/453-4321
- Philip Services Corp. – 816/474-1391
- Rechargeable Battery Recycling Corporation
- Safety-Kleen Systems, Inc. –- 816/221-6826
- Waste Express –- 816/924-5884
MARC does not endorse the businesses and organizations listed above. This listing is provided only as a public service to the region and should not be considered complete. MARC recommends that businesses request verification of proper permits and inquire about the management methods used by the hazardous waste provider.