"Treecycling" your holiday tree
When the holidays are over, ornaments are taken down and put back into storage and
strings of lights are re-tangled in knots for next year. But once all the decorations
are put away, what do you do with your natural holiday tree?
Like other yard waste materials, holiday trees are banned from many area landfills.
So instead of trashing those de-trimmed trees, many area communities offer residents
a number of ways to recycle them — services that not only divert trees from
landfills, but also create a useful resource that can be used for a variety of purposes.
Throughout the region recycled trees are mulched and used for trail surfaces, erosion
control and landscaping. Some are left whole and used to create fish habitat in
Approximately 33–36 million natural holiday trees are produced in the U.S.
every year. For every tree harvested, one to three seedlings are planted the following
After these trees have decorated our homes, they can be recycled and used
to improve the environment in a number of ways…the holiday gift that keeps on giving!
- Belton — Lawn-Corps Curbside Recycling, 816-761-3046; Missouri residents only
- Grandview — Compost Connection Inc., 816-761-8300; Missouri residents only
- Kansas City, Mo. — Nature’s Rubbish, 816-444-4050; Missouri residents only
- Leavenworth — 913-682-0650; Leavenworth residents only.
- Lenexa — 913-982-3900, www.troop136.org, Lenexa residents only
- Merriam — 913-322-5500; Merriam residents only
- Metro area — Town & Country Disposal provides free holiday tree pickup for all its residential curbside yard waste subscription customers for the two weeks following Christmas. This does not include Kansas City, Mo., customers. 816-380-5595
- North Kansas City — 816-274-6004; North Kansas City residents only
- Olathe — 913-971-9311; Olathe residents only
- Belton — Lawn-Corps Curbside Recycling, P.O. Box 482114, Kansas City, MO, 816-761-3046
- Blue Springs — Pink Hill Park, 2715 N.W. Park Road, Blue Springs, MO, 816-228-0137
- Bonner Springs — North Park, 1200 S. 134th St., Bonner Springs, KS., 913-422-1020
- Bonner Springs — Wyandotte County Park, 126th & State Ave., Bonner Springs, KS., 913-573-8327
- Buckner — City of Buckner yard waste drop-off site, 2500 O’Donnell Road, Buckner, MO, 816-650-3191
- Edgerton, Kan. — City of Edgerton, yard waste drop-off site, 710 E. Nelson, Edgerton, KS, 913-893-6231
- strong>Excelsior Springs — Public Works Facility, 1290 S. Marietta St., Excelsior Springs, MO, 816-630-0755
- Gladstone — Regional Brush & Yard Waste Recycle Facility, 4000 NE 76th St., Gladstone, MO, 64119, 816-436-5442
- Harrisonville — Roll Off Services, 2801 S. Brickplant Road, Harrisonville, MO, 816-380-5566
- Harrisonville — Town & Country Disposal, 22820 S. U.S. 291, Harrisonville, MO, 64701, 816-380-5595
- Kansas City, Kan. — Alvey Park, 4834 Metropolitan Ave., Kansas City, KS, 913-573-8327
- Kansas City, Kan. — City Park, 2601 Park Drive, Kansas City, KS, 913-573-8327
- Kansas City, Kan. — Stony Point Park, 531 N. 86th St., Kansas City, KS, 913-573-8327
- Kansas City, Kan. — Planet Marrs, 2701 Roe Lane, Kansas City, KS, 913-558-8888
- Kansas City, Mo. (North) — City of Kansas City, Mo., Leaves & Brush, 11660 N. Main St., Kansas City, MO, 816-513-1313
- Kansas City, Mo. (East Bottoms) — City of Kansas City, Mo., Leaves & Brush, 1815 N. Chouteau Trafficway, Kansas City, MO, 816-513-1313
- Kansas City, Mo. (Southeast) — City of Kansas City, Mo., Leaves & Brush, 10301 Raytown Road, Kansas City, MO, 816-513-1313
- Kansas City, Mo. (East) — Missouri Organic Recycling, Inc., 7700 E. U.S. 40, Kansas City, MO, 816-483-0908.
- Kansas City, Mo. (South) — Suburban Lawn and Garden Yard Waste Recycling Center, 139th & Wyandotte, Kansas City, MO, 816-941-2438
- Kearney — City of Kearney Recycling Center, 504 E. 19th St., Kearney, MO, 816-628-4142
- Leavenworth — Transfer Station, 24967 136th St., Leavenworth, KS, 913-727-2858
- Leavenworth — Municipal Brush Site, 1803 S. 2nd St., Leavenworth, KS, 913-758-6601
- Leawood — Leawood City Park, 10601 Lee Blvd., Leawood, KS, 913-339-6700
- Leawood — Ironwoods Park, 14701 Mission Road, Leawood, KS, 913-339-6700
- Lee’s Summit — City of Lee’s Summit Yard Waste Drop-off Center, 2101 SE Hamblen Road, Lees Summit, MO, 816-969-1800.
- Lenexa — Little Mill Creek Park North, 7900 Cottonwood, Lenexa, KS, 913-477-7557
- Liberty — Bennett Park, 1100 Clayview Drive, Liberty, MO, 816-439-4415
- Liberty — City Park, 970 South U.S. 291, Liberty, MO, 816-439-4415
- Olathe — Kill Creek Park, 11670 Homestead Lane, Olathe, KS, 913-888-4713
- Olathe — Heritage Park, 16050 Pflumm Road, Olathe, KS, 913-888-4713.
- Olathe — Yard waste collection facility, 127th St. & Hedge Lane, Olathe, KS, 913-971-9311
- Orrick — Yard waste collection facility, 34849 State Route Z (Floyd St.), Orrick, MO, 816-770-3607
- Overland Park — Arboretum & Botanical Gardens, 8909 W. 179th St., Overland Park, KS, 913-895-6273
- Overland Park — Youngs Park, 7701 Antioch, Overland Park, KS, 913-895-6273
- Overland Park — Quivira Park, 11901 Quivira, Overland Park, KS, 913-895-6273
- Overland Park — Indian Creek Recreation Center, 10308 Marty, Overland Park, KS, 913-895-6273
- Paola — Wallace Park, 5 Wallace Park Drive, Paola, KS, 913-259-3620
- Platte City — Yard waste drop-off site, 99 W. Mill St., Platte City, MO, 816-858-3046
- Prairie Village — Franklin Park, 4798 W 88th St., Prairie Village, KS, 913-381-6464
- Prairie Village — Porter Park, 4601 Tomahawk, Prairie Village, KS, 913-381-6464
- Prairie Village — Taliaferro Park, 2900 West 79th St. Prairie Village, KS, 913-381-6464
- Richmond — Yard waste drop-off site, 205 Summit St., Richmond, MO, 816-776-5304
- Roeland Park — Yard waste drop-off site, 4800 Roe Parkway, Roeland Park, KS, 913-722-5435
- Shawnee — Johnson County Landfill, 17955 Holiday Drive, Shawnee, KS, 913-631-8181.
- Shawnee — Shawnee Mission Park, 7900 Renner Road, Shawnee, KS, 913-888-4713
- Smithville — Little Platte Park, Smithville Lake, 16311 Route DD, Smithville, MO, 816-407-3400
- Sugar Creek — Courtney Ridge Recycling Center, 2001 N. U.S. 291, Sugar Creek, MO, 816-257-7999
- Weatherby Lake — 7200 NW Eastside Drive, Weatherby Lake, MO, 816-529-3502. Drop off at Venita Access Area (corner of Potomac and Pleasant Ford streets).
- Weston — City of Weston Recycling Center, 725 Market St., Weston, MO, 816-640-2752