Don’t Waste The Holidays
When you’re making your holiday list, add reduce, reuse and recycle! There are many great ways to practice the 3 Rs this holiday season.
- Shop thrift stores, antique malls, or eBay for pre-owned décor you want, donate/sell what you don’t.
- Take good care of your decorations and they will last many years.
- Make handmade decorations that are re-useable, recyclable or compostable.
- Purchase recycled-content cards.
- Donate used cards.
- Make handmade cards that are recyclable.
- Shop at thrift stores, antique malls, or eBay to find that unique gift.
- Give an experience such as gift cards for food and entertainment, tickets for a show, or memberships to a museum or zoo.
- Make a donation in someone’s name.
- Use recyclable wrapping such as old posters, maps, paper grocery bags or the funny papers.
- Wrap with attractive cloth, cloth ribbons or a reusable bag.
- Use last-year’s boxes, tissue paper, bows and ribbons.
- Use durable tableware: dishes, cups, utensils, napkins, tablecloths, etc.
- Recycle cans and bottles
- Compost food waste
- “Treecycle” your holiday tree, wreathes and garland (natural only).
- Donate your old or non-working holiday lights.
- Recycle packaging and cards.
- Save boxes, tissue paper, bows and ribbons for next year.
- Donate gently used items to charities or thrift stores.
- Compost your poinsettias or keep them as houseplants (they’ll bloom year after year).
Search RecycleSpot for all your recycling and donation locations»
Learn how to compost your yard and food waste»